With my background being Egyptian, I have to admit that Middle Eastern desserts are my favourite! Kunafa, baklawa, basboosa. Kunafa especially a big favourite in my family. It's the most simple and versatile dessert!
The only downside is that it can be quite rich - especially store bought - making it harder to go for a second serving! ;)
Well, I've solved that, Athletes! Here is my take on the Almond Kunafa using minimal ingredients. It is completely vegan and dairy free!
- 1 package shredded dough (preservative free)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup raw almonds (chopped)
- Separate by pulling apart the shredded dough. Rip apart into small pieces.
- Slowly add and mix in the coconut oil one tablespoon at a time.
- Preheat the oven to 350 C.
- Separate the dough into two portions.
- Spread half the dough evenly onto a pan and compress the as much as possible.
- Sprinkle the crushed almonds over the dough.
- Drizzle half of the maple syrup evenly over the almonds.
- Place the remaining dough evenly over the almonds. Compress as much as possible.
- Drizzle the remaining maple syrup on top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes at 350 C until edges begin to golden.
- Turn the oven onto "broil low" and cook for 3-5 minutes watching closely until the top becomes golden.
Let me know how you like them, Athletes!