Five Minute Chickpea Curry
I'm all about the simple, delicious, quick meal, Athletes! Like you, my week gets busy fast and if I don't prepare in advance, I end up getting by on whatever I have on hand.
At the beginning of the week I usually prepare a pot of black beans or garbanzo in my pressure cooker so I can have fresh legumes on hand to throw in my salad, burritos or curry!
So here it is, the quickest way to a delicious, 100% plant-based curry that involves the most minimal ingredients. This dish does not last as a left-over in my house! My kids go bananas every time I make it! Enjoy xx
- 3 cups chickpeas (canned or pre-cooked in pressure cooker)
- 1/4 can coconut milk (preservative-free)
- 1 can whole tomatoes, chopped (salt and preservative-free)
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 tsp cumin seeds, freshly ground
- 1-2 tbsp curry powder (depending on taste)
- 1-2 cups water
- 2 chilli peppers or cayenne (optional)
- In a non-stick pan, heat 1 tsp of grape-seed or avocado oil.
- Add in diced onions and peppers. Sauté until soft.
- Add in chilli peppers, crushed garlic, ginger and cumin. Sauté for less than a minute - or until aroma gives off.
- Add in canned tomato and coconut milk.
- Let mixture come to a boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add in chickpeas and continue to simmer for another 10-15 minutes.
- Slowly add in water until desired consistency.
- Add salt to taste.
- Serve over basmati rice or a bed of salad.