Quinoa and Sweet Potato Stuffed Peppers
These stuffed peppers are a hit every time! Loaded with powerful plant nutrients and high in protein and flavour, they are the perfect compact and complete meal. I usually serve with a green salad.
- 1 bunch rainbow chard, chopped
- 6 red bell pepper, seeds and stem removed from the top
- 6 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 5 heads green garlic, or cloves of garlic
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 sweet potato, cubed and baked in advance
- 2 cups quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp finely chopped oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- Carefully remove stems and seeds from the top of the peppers. Roast on barbecue or in oven until tender and golden brown, Allow to cool.
- In a skillet, heat avocado oil. Sauté onion and garlic until aroma gives off. Add rainbow chard and stir fry for 5-6 minutes until soft.
- Add in tomatoes, quinoa, sweet potato, salt and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and let simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in oregano and remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 350 C.
- Divide quinoa mixture into six portions. Scoop into the peppers and place in a pan. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Allow to cool and serve.
- Sherry Shaban