Stove Top Moussaka
As a kid, I couldn't stand eggplant. But now it's become one of my favourite vegetables. Here's a plant based super clean take on the popular Moussaka dish!
Delicious hot or cold, serve with a side of basmati rice or quinoa to make a complete meal!
Stir Fry Ingredients:
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 small eggplant, sliced
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 can whole or chunk tomatoes (no sodium or perservatives)
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (pressure cooker recommended)
- 1 tsp grapeseed oil, for pan
- Set the oven to broil. Lay out the sliced eggplant on a pan and broil on high for a few minutes on each side until golden brown. Avoid placing the eggplant too close to the grill.
- In a skillet, heat grape seed oil over medium heat. Stir fry the onions until they begin to soften. Add the cumin seeds and continue to stir fry until smell gives off.
- Add in peppers and continue to sauté for another 8-12 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Add the roasted eggplant and continue to stir.
- Add canned tomato. Fill the can with water and add to the vegetables.
- Bring to a boil and simmer on low for 35-45 minutes.
- Stir in the chickpeas and salt and let cool before serving.
- Serve the Moussaka over basmati rice or quinoa and any other roasted vegetables of your choice to complete the meal.
- Sherry Shaban