Swiss Chard and White Pinto Bean Soup
The season of leafy greens is almost upon us! I'm sure with fresh tomatoes this soup would have turned out even more badass than it did! The cumin seed and garlic combo are a staple in Egyptian cuisine, and the combined aroma always brings me back to childhood memories of my mom whipping up a storm in the kitchen! Enjoy!
- 2 red onions
- 2 red or orange bell pepper, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 can whole tomatoes, chopped
- 1 bunch Swiss or Rainbow chard, stems and greens separated and chopped
- 2 tbsp whole cumin seeds
- 10 cloves of garlic, grated
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 cups white pinto beans, cooked in pressure cooker as per instructions
- Salt to taste
- Juice from one lemon
- Hot sauce or pepper
- In a hot pot or on the stove top, sauté onions and pepper in avocado oil until they begin to soften.
- Add garlic and cumin seeds.
- Once the aroma gives off, add carrots and Swiss chard stems stir for a few more minutes until soft.
- Add in can of tomato and 6 cups of water.
- Add salt.
- If using a hot pot, set for 1 minute to cook. If using stove top, bring to a boil, cover with a lid and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked beans and Swiss chard leaves.
- Add lemon juice.
- Optional to add hot sauce or hot pepper flakes.
- Sherry Shaban